Monday, January 21, 2008

Finally here!

So, after 4 airports, 3 flights and about 23hrs I finally arrived in Cairo yesterday (Sunday) afternoon. Although long, the flights actually went pretty smoothly-- I can't believe I'm saying this, but Air Canada was really great- every person had their own little touch screen tv and there were tons of movies, tv shows etc to choose from (I watched the Heartbreak Kid with Ben Stiller, and most of the Nanny diaries- the first was pretty funny!).. it made the time go really quickly. The other two legs TO- Frankfurt and Frankfurt-Cairo were Lufthansa and were tollerable but not quite as nice...especially sitting next to the man with BO who snored. That was a lot of fun :| When I arrived in Cairo, the airport helpers (yes, that is their actual job title!) had my name on a sign and got my visa cleared, miraculously all 6 pieces (including my bike and trainer) arrived together and in one piece for the most part--- a small part came off my bike box but it's fairly superficial and easy to replace I think. Our GM's driver, who I had met in the summer, met me once we had all my luggage and drove me to the hotel that will be my home for the next month (or however long it takes to find an apartment)- it's in a great location, about 2 minutes away from my office and I can watch the progress on the construction site from my balcony! I am also staying on the executive floor and get to use the executive lounge... I am currently attending 'happy hour' and taking advantage of the free drinks, snacks (which will be my dinner) and internet...I hope the company appreciates my thriftiness ;)

I will put some pictures up once I get internet working in my room (Since my charges are being direct-billed to the company, they didn't ask for a CC and I think they have put my account as cash only and consequently, nothing will post to the account- I have tried to explain this to someone, but I don't think she understood....I need to brush up on my arabic!)

I meet my boss tomorrow morning and he will show me the office and introduce me to my new coworkers etc, I am looking forward to figuring out what exactly I'll be doing for the next 2 years! A bit scary but exciting at the same time!

Okay, I should get going I don't want to get a reputation for taking up too much free internet time!

C

1 comment:

Me Myself and I said...

Glad to see you made it there safe and sound!