Monday, January 26, 2009

Good news x 2!

So, I'm not sure if it really came across in my last few posts how upsetting it has been not having water... well more accurately, not being able to shower before work... and the few people I mentioned it to (you don't really want to tell too many people that you haven't been bathing regularly) at work kept dismissing it and saying that it's normal and happens here from time to time... well I thought before I jumped on a plane back home, I would ask our director of engineering at the hotel if this was indeed something I would have to live with (it seemed there was usually a trickle of water in the evenings, maybe I could start showering at night...) anyway when I explained it to him, he said this was NOT normal and he would send someone to fix it right away. So I brought the the hotel plumber and electrician home with me tonight, they disappeared under the apartment with the boweb (building manager) and after about 20 min, my shower has plenty of water and enough pressure to remove wallpaper- it's so great!!! I am crossing my fingers that it will still be there tomorrow when I wake up!

The other exciting news is that I am going to Luxor in a few weeks for a half-marathon with my running group- I didn't think I'd be able to go as I left it so late, but there was a cancellation and I managed to get a cheap room and a reasonable flight! I am not trained for that distance at the moment, but there are a lot of people in the group who will be taking it really slow, it's a 2 loop course, so I will stay with the snails the first loop and see how I feel the second time around... it will be hard not to be thinking of my time but I'm going to leave my watch behind and just try to relax and have fun. It's an annual event for the group and it sounds like they have a lot of fun things planned, including, but not limited to... a carb-loading pasta dinner, a tour of the town, the race of course, a post-race gala dinner, and bike ride through the valley of the kings...apparently we will be racing through the VOTK- the start line is right at Hatchepsut's temple..I love the scenery on the royal victoria marathon route but this will definitely be one of the most unique races I've done.

Anyway, just wanted to share the good news, hope you're all doing well,

xoxo C

2 comments:

teach11 said...

Luxor was one of my favourite places in Egypt- how cool to do a half marathon there!!!

Jen said...

Sheesh Cat! I'm sure glad your water is back on, AND that you get to go race/run in Luxor... but when you put a title like "Good news x 2!" I was about to ask "Who's the lucky guy and what are you planning on naming them?"!

Missing our fun together in Mexico,

Jen