Anyway, I figured I should actually attempt the distance beforehand—it would be embarrassing to collapse during the race, and would probably necessitate receiving Egyptian medical attention, which I try to avoid if at all possible. But today, when Mohsen, our running group leader said we were running 15 miles, it didn’t sound that far, but it’s actually 24km…that’s a LONG way! We were running from the suburb where I live into a road that leads into the desert- it was okay at first, just a few Egyptian men staring and yelling (they think we’re crazy for running), nothing major though, and I’m used to it, but once we got into the desert a little I started to notice some different beady eyes looking at me… they belonged to one of the packs of wild dogs I’d been warned about….at one point about 7 or 8 dogs were standing at the side of the road snarling and licking their lips hungrily…thankfully only one dog actually came up to sniff our trail, but we just picked up the pace a little and managed to lose him- if nothing else, running here definitely adds an interesting element of danger.. as always, the run was followed by brunch at one of the runners places- the group is really international so it's always a great combination of foods from around the world- today: french toast, ful, muffins, scones, Dutch cheese, labna and a bunch of other things. One good thing about all this running is that I don't have to be quite so careful what I eat lately!
Now a couple of random things that don't really fit but you may find interesting/helpful:
-I've been meaning to mention this, but kept forgetting- right before I left, I bought a new pair of shoes for work- they are GEOX, those ones with the holes in the soles that let sweat and hot air out but don't let rain etc in... besides that, they are the most comfortable pair of heels I've ever owned... there's a new store in the Bay centre-- on the douglas street level a couple of stores down from jacob-- you should go!
-My cousin (3rd, once removed or something) Deirdre, posted this blog/site on her FB profile and I love it- so many great recipe ideas...you should check it out!
-In triathlon news, the head coach of Triathlon Canada is moving to the UK to coach the british squad.

- Tomorrow, Nassiba and I are finally going to see Twilight! Yay! I hope they don't censor it too much.
Okay, that's all from me for now, I hope you're all doing well. Jen and Nicky I hope you're having fun together in Victoria- I wish I could be there with you :(
xoxo C
No comments:
Post a Comment