Sunday, January 18, 2009

Walking like an egyptian again...

Well, after 3 flights, 4 airports, 5 movies and 22 hours of flying (7 of which I was sitting next to the smelliest man I have met in a long time!) I arrived in Cairo yesterday evening. Still in shock from trauma of the smelly man ( think BO + curry), I was happy to find out that I'd been upgraded to business class for the leg between london and Cairo- unfortunately I was so exhausted, I slept most of the time and didn't take advantage of all the food and hot towels they kept bringing by. While I wasn't quite as excited to see the pyramids on our descent into the airport as the young backpackers across the aisle from me were, it was great to see Nassiba (aka zoomie) who was waiting to pick me up- I missed her a lot.

So, it's cold here!! The weather report says it's about a high of 18C but at night it gets below 10C, which is cold if you don't have heating (which I don't). I also forgot how noisy it is here... mosques, dogs, cats, honking, yelling-- there is always someone/thing making a racket.

Today I am taking some time to get over my jetlag and clean away the 5+ months of desert sand and dust that has accumulated in my apartment and tomorrow I am looking forward to seeing (most of) my coworkers again. Anyway I'm not sure what will happen or how long I will be here- hopefully this will become more clear in the next few days- I will keep you all posted.

Anyway I just wanted to let you all know that I arrived in one piece- I hope you will all keep in touch even though I'm a little further away now.

Bye for now,

xoC

No comments: