Monday, December 17, 2007

Pedis, chocolate, shopping, chocolate, wine...oh yeah....and chocolate!

Yesterday and today were spent in Vancouver with Nicky, Jen, Tegan and Kate. In just over 24 hrs, we managed to pack in sushi, eating chocolates, pedicures (complete with wine), dinner and drinks, a movie, eating chocolates, hot tubbing, crepes, shopping, eating chocolates and coffee- not to mention lots of chatting and a little giggling. The huuuuge box of purdy's chocolates and wine were courtesy of Nicky, whose Gr. 4 students (or more accurately, their parents) brought her all sorts of excellent gifts for the end of term.

The only "black mark" on the weekend was the crappy service we received at 3 different places- the hotel and two restaurants. I'm not sure if Vancouver is having the same issues finding workers as we are here or what, but save one very nice bellman (thanks Neil!), the majority of the staff we encountered seemed totally flippant and as though they had much better things to be doing.


The way home was a little tenuous...the 3pm ferry was canceled due to high winds, so the 5pm was absolutely packed. Every single seat was taken and it was really rough- they made announcements for us to stay in our seats and had left motion-sickness bags everywhere- some of them definitely got used (not by any of us, thankfully!) :P Despite the bad service and near-death ferry experience, we had a really great time:)

It makes me feel a little melancholy about leaving when I think about the great friends I have here, but I know we'll stay in touch and pick up right where we left off. Over the last 10 years the 5 of us have lived in Calgary, Edmonton, Windsor, Vancouver Whistler, England, Ghana, Uganda, Ireland, Spain, Vermont and Korea, and have still managed to stay close, so I'm not too worried about adding Cairo to the list;)

No comments: