Saturday, February 7, 2009

ten miles, brunch and more T&A...

Yesterday was my favourite day, Friday- running and brunch!! Yesterday’s run was ‘10 miles’ (aka 16km) as we’re tapering for the race next weekend- I am actually happy with how quickly I’ve been able to get back to the longer distances- before I left BC I was running almost every day, but no more than 10K at a time, but last week’s 24K, although difficult, wasn’t impossible, and yesterday’s run was quite bearable… it’s always easier when you have people to talk to. Then we had our weekly brunch at one of our Egyptian runner’s houses- her mum made a great apple cake that everyone was taking about…I brought a loaf of banana bread and it was a hit too. We are all getting really excited about next weekend- besides the race, we are doing a lot of other cool stuff- among other things, a sunset felucca ride to celebrate our accomplishments and a bike ride through the valley of the kings. I am also thinking of doing a hot air balloon ride as Cole tells me it was one of his favourite memories from Luxor.

Yes, I know you're all waiting to hear about the T&A.......Taylor and Anna (are you disappointed...what kind of t&a did you THINK I was talking about?!) arrived back in Cairo yesterday after their Nile cruise and stayed with me last night- we had our new exec sous chef and his wife over for some wine and appies- as most of you know, appies are my specialty in Victoria, but with a sad lack of raincoast crisps, SSI goat cheese, and spinach dip makings, I was feeling a little lost (not to mention the fact that I was feeding a chef) thankfully Anna and Taylor had some good ideas and we whipped up a fairly impressive spread. It made me realize though, that my apartment is not really equipped for entertaining -notice the juice glasses for wine, and the chips served in a bundt pan! Poor Anna will be mad that I posted this picture- she got a bad burn in Luxor, but it was the only picture I had showing the food. Sorry Anna, you look beautiful anyway!






















This morning, Anna and Taylor were going to the Egyptian museum so I tagged along- I’d been before but they had a guide arranged for them by the ministry of tourism (Taylor is a photojournalist) so it was nice to have someone to explain things to us as the labeling/signage in the museum is a little lacking (I know it’s surprising in such an efficient, well-organized country!)

They are leaving for Sharm tonight and will be back in Cairo next week- I’m hoping we’ll have the chance to see each other again before they move on to Jordan. I’m jealous, they’ve already seen and done so much and they’re only a 3rd of the way through their trip –keep track of their adventures on their blog.

Here are a few more Cairo pics from today's drive to the museum- I find everyday life here so interesting but rarely have my camera handy at the right time.... xoxo C










Look carefully for the flock/herd (?) of goats on the side of the road.
















A fruit stand- shopkeeper reading the paper















typical street scene
















selling clay pots on the street.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's my kind of wine glass.

Roy.

A Russo said...

That picture isn't as bad as I was expecting it to be- and yes it's important to share the appies spread! Thanks again for such a fun time, Tay and I keep saying how wonderful it's been to be able to stay with you, we're really grateful, and enjoy it so much!

Jen said...

With how the photos were laid out I spent a good three minutes searching the fruit selling photo for the goats! I was flummoxed in my defeat until I read down and realized the associations... AHHH!!