Sunday, February 1, 2009

"See you later, Elevator"

Today was a funny day-- it didn't start out well..... I walked into my office and found about 8 security and housekeeping guys tearing the place apart-- one of them had a plastic bag on his hand.... I heard them use a word which I had learned last week-- RAT! I started freaking out a little-- two rats in 2 weeks was 2 rats too many! Wellllll..... it turns out that in arabic, mouse and rat are the same word "far"-- they just put big or small in front of it....so this turned out to be a small one...he was fast though, he made it from our office, passed by F&B, Rooms, and purchasing before he was finally caught!

Then later, it was a bit slow in the office and we got talking about expressions-- our HR co-ordinator, Ahmed, asked me what I meant when I said Okeedokee, so I explained it was just a funny way of saying okay.. Then this conversation followed:

Ahmed: "oh an expression; like, see you later elevator?"
Me: "you mean Aligator."
Ahmed: "Aligator? what?"
Me: "the expression is 'see you later, Aligator... '
Ahmed: "No, no, it's elevator.. 'see you later elevator"
Me: "That doesn't make any sense.."
Ahmed: "Aligator doesn't make sense either.."
Me: " yes, because the resposne is "in a while, crocodile.' you know, an aligator and a crodile are sort of the same kind of animal...'
Ahmed: "It's elevator"

I decided to humour him for a while till I checked with a few other people, but apparently he was right, that's the way they say it.... I don't know why I doubted him, it makes as much sense as anything else here... :P
I tried making banana bread tonight using the self-raising flour and it WORKED!! Here are a few dorky self-photos of me posing with (and pretending to eat) it...I know under normal circumstances this wouldn't warrant this level of excitement, but in light of my last attempt (and failure!) this is a serious baking breakthough!

Okay, I am 100 pages from the end of the last twilight book and it's getting verrrrrry exciting and I'm dying to find out what happens, so I should go, but I hope you're all having a great weekend! xoxo C

1 comment:

teach11 said...

This is hilarous! I can't stop laughing about "see you later elevator!"