As I might have mentioned, life in Cairo can be a little crazy to say the least, but I know, that three times a week, no matter what happens, a little bit of normalcy is waiting for me behind the high walls of the american school. I'm sure it has to do with the people I'm with as well, but on the days when we run in the evenings, I find myself looking forward to it all day- looking at the clock on my computer and calculating how many more hours till I can run. And when we're sprinting around that bouncy red track I can let myself forget that I'm thousands of miles away from home in a country where everything is illogical, inefficient and different- I'm just a runner, running. And I know I'm not the only one who feels that way- we often arrive at the gates of the school complaining that we're tired, or something is sore or we have other things to do, but we always finish the run laughing- as somebody said a few weeks ago "I never regret a run".
Anyway, as a result of my newfound love of the sport, I have decided that I want to run a marathon- till now I had always thought that it wasn't for me, or it was something I'd do "someday", but I think someday has arrived- or will arrive in the next year or so. Our group is going to Copenhagen in May for the marathon- I'm not sure if work will allow me to get away, but if so, I might try to do it then, otherwise, if I can get back to BC in the fall, maybe the RVM...
Also, I think I might have an ear infection- I think I mentioned that I try to avoid going to doctors here at if at all possible, they prescribe antibiotics for everything, and usually try to give you unnecessary injections (last time I went for a cough and they tried to give me a shot for nausea!)-- so I googled ear infection remedies and found a lot of weird stuff- the strangest was to cook up some onions, drain off the clear juice and pour it into the affected ear... another site said the same thing but with garlic juice-- what I want to know is how did these people discover that these cures worked-- did they just pour a bunch of different things into their ears until it felt better? The most normal home remedy I have read about is to put warm olive oil in the sore ear-- has anyone tried this? Does it work?
Anyway I should get to bed, but I hope you're all having a great week!
xoxo C
No comments:
Post a Comment