Tuesday, February 19, 2008

not always greener....

The "grass", in this case, is my apartment-- I moved in on the weekend (which as you remember, I was pretty excited about), but the first night I got maybe 1 hour of sleep......probably less. I went to see the place twice, once during what would seem to be the only quiet hour of the entire day, the next time I went and noticed a few cars going by, but was told it was rush hour and it would only last another hour or so...wellllll, that turned out to be all night. 

In NA people use their car horns very rarely....maybe to tell someone "um...you are getting a bit too close", or "you *jerk*, you cut me off..." or"hey, the light is green..", but that's pretty much all..... here they use them ALLLLL the time, and not just one short honk, but they often honk a tune- some cars feature la cucaracha, and I think I heard 'shave-and-a-haricut' the other day, or some drivers just honk to the beat of whatever song happens to be playing on NileFM. So that was the first night...

When I got up after my one hour of sleep, I turned on the shower and the shower head flew off and smacked me in the head and somehow I tripped the breaker that runs the hot water tank and the shower was cold. Anyway, the shower got fixed the next day, but there isn't anything that can be done about the traffic so I've decided to keep looking- which means more quality time with Mohamed #2! 

btw The latest Mohamed incident happened on Sunday: I called him to tell him about my issues with the apartment...I knew he had just had a baby on saturday so I said maybe we could schedule a meeting for later in the week, but he insisted on meeting me that very day, and when I got in the car with him to go to the flat, he said we had to stop somewhere first and  he drove me to see his wife and new baby in the hospital! As if someone who is recovering from a C-section really wants one of her husband's clients in her hospital room...it didn't seem to bothe her but it was sort of awkward nonetheless...

On a positive note, I connected with the organizer of the running club in the area where I'm hoping to live... there are about 20-30 runners and it sounds like they are a pretty social group- they do a long run on Friday mornings and then have brunch afterwards (running and brunch!!! can you think of a better combination!!!????)

Okay I have to get to work, but I miss you all a lot, (and honk-free victoria)

C

No comments: