Monday, August 4, 2008

I'm baaaaaaack!

I guess I haven't posted anything since before I left cairo.. sorry if some of you thought I didn't survive the 23 hr journey! The flights all went really smoothly actually, and I had a great surprise when I got to the airport in Cairo...(thankfully I arranged for one of our airport greeters to meet me because the chaos that awaited me there rivaled the Damascus airport) as Moh'd was helping me check in, the woman from egyptair said something about flying business... I said, "pft, I wish- it's economy", but she said "no miss catherine, you're booked on business..". Apparently in my haste to book something on expedia two days before I left, I didn't realize that 2 of the legs of the trip were business class- it was especially great because it was the two longest legs, one of them was the ten-hour London to Seattle one! The seat reclined to a point where it was almost completely flat and I had my own personal tv and choice of about 100 movies- not too shabby for a last minute (and pretty cheap) flight :)

Besides having to sprint through the Munich airport to make a really tight connection, all the flights left and landed pretty much on schedule and when I got to Victoria, both pieces of my luggage were there and so was............NICKY!!!! I was SO happy to see her and to take a breath of the air which smelled so fresh-- I was even happy see the rain. Anyway after some tea and a chat @ the condo, I had a great sleep on a very comfortable (SEE Nicky, it's written on the internet, so it must be true!) pillow top air-mattress and Nicky and I got up and had blueberry pancakes with a string quartet (long story!)- then Nicky chauffeured me to the DMV to renew my drivers licence and to the hotel for a chat with my the HR team at the hotel- it was splendid to see everyone again. (I have decided that I use "great"way too often, I think I should make an effort to use different adjectives in my writing... let me know which ones you like best...).

I got a one month membership to the rec centre near mum and dad's, and have dusted the cobwebs off the mtn bike I got when I was 12 and have been riding it to the gym every day- I feel SO much better being active again!! Also, apparently Nicky told John (our amazing swim coach) that I am back and he expects to see me in the pool, so hopefully I can regain at least some of my fitness... :P

The last few days have been pretty action packed, so I won't go into details, but I've been busy pretty much every moment- I met Cole and Kristina's adorable 5 week old son, Adam James; attended Aidan's 7th birthday party; drank sangria on the Canoe patio while the snowbirds flew about 20 feet above our heads; watched a concert for BC's 150th b-day and saw Colin James, Burton Cummings, Sarah McLachlan and up-and-coming Nelson sensation Shawn Hlookoff, live! I will post some more pictures soon, but Greg is currently holding my camera hostage...

So it looks like the Olympics are starting in a few days!! With the fabulous weather we've been having lately, the last place I want to be is inside watching tv, but obviously there are a few events I will have to watch (swimming and triathlon, of course..). Speaking of triathlon, my dad had a dream the other night that Simon W called me and asked me to stop referring to him as my boyfriend because his wife was getting upset!! Ooops, sorry simon!

Okay, gotta get to the gym! Hope you're all doing well and I will hopefully SEE most of you soon!

xoxo C

2 comments:

Jen said...

Oh Cat, I'm sooo envious! I want to be there with you and Nicky eating blueberry pancakes (I won't ask about the string quartet)and drinking sangria on the Canoe Club patio!!! Sheesh, talk about a wave of homesickness!

I think it's an understatement to say, but: I miss you!!!

Cat said...

We miss you too jenny! There was definitely a key ingredient missing in the sangria/patio equation (YOU!). Still trying to figure out a way home that takes me through California! ttys, mwaaaaaah!