Friday, August 15, 2008

Swimming, sushi and gold medals


So, apparently when you're not changing countries every few days, you have less blog-worthy things happening to you- hence the week between posts!
It's funny, I was feeling a little antsy the other day and didn't know why till I realized that this is the longest I've been in one place for over two months...but that said, being home has been SO great- although I'm not working at all, I have no problem filling the days and seem to be on the go all the time- lots of running, swimming at the rec centre, cycling, swimming at the lake, coffee dates, sushi dates (it's nice to have sushi available that doesn't make you sick 65% of the time, like in cairo!), swimming with my swim team (I didn't realize how much I missed swimming), movies, dinners out, and spending lots of time outside... Although I didn't plan it, my timing for coming home was excellent- Sean, Michelle, Erika and Tim are all in town so it's been like old times catching up with everyone- obviously there are some key people missing, (Kate, Jen, Brent etc, etc) but usually Christmas is the only time this many of us are around.

I'm going camping this weekend which I'm really looking forward to, but the last few months I got pretty used to luxury hotels, so hopefully I'll be able to survive with no turndown service.. ;P

The other thing I've been doing a lot of lately is watching the olympics. Obviously, my favourite events are anything in the pool, and of course the triathlon-- but the tri isn't for a few more days so I've been watching mostly swimming and diving. Most of you have likely heard of the American swimmer Michael Phelps who has already won 5 gold medals in these games (it could be more by the time you're reading this)--He is poised to break the record set by Mark Spitz @ the Munich olylmpics in 1972 for the most gold medals won in one olympics (7). Apparently his strategy is that immediately after he wins a gold, he puts it out of his mind and forgets all about it so he can focus on the next one ...Nicky, Lisa and I were trying that strategy in the pool the other night @ swim practice, but it wasn't working so well for us...weird. Maybe you actually have to have ONE gold medal in order to forget about it...I'll keep you posted on our progress...

Also, I think I might want to take up syncro diving, so if anyone wants to be my partner, I'm currently accepting applications.

In other news, I finally got to meet Aiden Jakob Lange Fitzgerald, (aka Erika and Tim's little guy) and he's just as cute as he is in the pictures! Also, a big congratulations goes to Jason and Sandra who just got engaged!


Okay I'm heading out for a run, but just a reminder..... I'm sure you all have this on your calendars, but don't forget to watch the women's tri on August 17th at and men's race on August 18th- the schedule says 10PM, but that's EST, so for us on the west coast it will be a late night....but we have some great canadian triathletes competing so it'll be worth it!!!!

Here are a few random pics from the last week. Hope you're also having a great summer!


C

No comments: