Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Let me out!

So, if you heard an alarm going off in your apartment building, followed by some banging and yelling, would you not feel the need to investigate? Apparently in my apartment building, the answer is NO! It was me who set off the alarm and was doing the banging and yelling after I got stuck in the elevator today.

Elevators in apartments here aren't spacious like at home- they are big enough maybe for 3 people if you squeeze... so when it stopped and all the lights went off somewhere between the floors I knew it was not good. Abdou had just dropped me off, so after about 5 mins of banging, I tried calling him to see if he could turn around and come and rescue me, but his phone was busy, so I tried more banging....still nothing...then I tried crying for a while, that didn't work very well either, so I called one of my friends from work...he was about an hour away, but he called the police and I felt a little bit better knowing that at least someone was on their way...

But it was getting really hot and it was dark, so I decided to bang and yell some more, and then, finally, I heard someone yelling to someone else in arabic-- I only understood the word "elevator" but I figured that was at least a good sign... there was some rattling and suddenly the elevator dropped about 10 feet and now was partly below the bottom floor {I could see grass} but I still couldn't get out.... more yelling, more rattling, then about 10 minutes later I was finally free, el hamdallah!!! That was definitely not an experience I want to repeat anytime soon..

I'm just finishing packing and will be starting my 23hr journey to BC in just over 12 hours!! yay! After a lot of thought I decided that I am not going to bring my bike home this time...the lufthansa strike combined with taking 4 separate flights, I think the likelihood of it getting lost somehwere along the way is pretty high and if I want to do any tris while I'm home maybe I can use one of the mtn bikes we have in the garage..at least I'll finally have an excuse for my crappy bike times!! :P

Okay I really should get some sleep, but hope you're all having a good day and I'll see you soon!

xo C

PS this photo of the burj has nothing to do with this post, but I thought it was a neat shot....they light it up at night and michelle and I caught it at a good angle!

1 comment:

Jen said...

YAY! So glad! Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease try to stop by and see us?