Thursday, July 10, 2008

In the middle of it all...


As frustrating is it is to be stuck here (yes we're STILL in Dubai..), the UAE is such an amazing and exciting place to be right now--- it is a hub for business for the entire world- it's absolutely booming right now and is showing no sign of slowing down anytime soon! There are people of every nationality here, and all here for different reasons-- sitting in the lobby bar last night, Kelly and I were definitely aware of some pretty major business deals happening just a few feet away from us!!

In the few days that I've been here I've met some really interesting people-- my room is on the 27th floor, so most of these meetings happen in the elevator- because you either start a conversation, or stare at the person for the next minute and a half.... I've chatted to a Belgian guy here to do flight simulator training with Emirates air (he flies a private jet..), and an insurance broker from Australia.... in the pool the other night we met an Iranian/Canadian guy (from Vancouver) who owns a business that produces and imports re-bar and concrete to Dubai- the retail price of both of these items has doubled in the last year, so he's pretty happy about that! Especially since Dubai probably uses a million pieces of re-bar a day.... (no exaggeration).

As much as I love and miss BC, there is something really exciting about being in a city that literally never sleeps (most of the construction happens at night since it's so hot during the day) and is changing at such a breakneck pace-- it's definitely not sustainable (even now they are struggling to find enough labour to keep up with the construction) and things will slow down eventually (every place reaches a saturation point for hotel rooms, office buildings and condos), but it will be cool to look back on it and be able to say that I was there when it was at its craziest!

Because of the delay, Moses had to go back to seattle... Ma'salama Ya Moussa, you will definitely be missed!

Anyway, gotta get to the gym, but hope you're all having a great day.

xo C

No comments: