Friday, April 25, 2008

I used to be an athlete.....

The above has been on my mind for the last little while, but I've been trying not to focus on it because it makes me really upset and it's easier not to think about.....but the reality of the situation occurred to me yesterday when my parents arrived (yes, it's great to see them!! I'll talk more about that in a few paragraphs) and brought out some issues of Runners' World that had arrived for me in the last few months, as well as a brand new pair of Mizuno Mustangs (the shoe I've been running in for years) that I bought in January and left with them, with instructions to bring when they came. 
I think back to how big a part sports played in my life even just a few months ago- how I would plan my errands around swim practices, or decide not to go away for the weekend because there was a triathlon or a swim meet I wanted to be at-  and how much things have changed since then, and it makes me really sad.  Before I came I expected that it would be hard to keep an active lifestyle here, but I don't think I realized just how difficult it would be.
 Any type of exercise in Cairo is a huge struggle- the heat certainly plays a part (it was 45C a few days ago)- so you have to get up reallllly early so you can finish whatever activity you're doing before the sun gets really hot,  but even the culture is simply not one that values exercise, especially in women -who are, of course primarily for cooking and reproduction-- okay, okay, I might be exaggerating a little, but I'm constantly being told to eat more because I'm too thin (and believe me, at the moment, I am NOT thin- I even had to buy a new pair of pants because some of the jeans I brought with me are getting a little snug!)- if I was reading this 4 months ago, I would say "jeez, fatty, stop whining and get out there and run", but it's really not that simple-- the traffic and pollution here are insane (18M people, remember....) and the streets in most places are so uneven, a person could easily break an ankle... it's just not safe.
I can't lay all the blame on Cairo itself- working 11 hours a day has a lot to do with it as well- there is a running club in my neighbourhood that runs on a track at one of the high schools here, but I can never leave work in time to actually make it to the practices.   If nothing else, it's really made me appreciate how lucky we are in BC to have unlimited access to oceanside roads and bike paths to run and ride along and public pools and swim teams train with.  

Don't worry, I haven't completely given up-- I have my bike and windtrainer in my living room, and Nassiba (aka Zoomie) Chris and I have joined a gym near work that is open 24 hrs, so hopefully I'll at least be able to run on a treadmill a few times and get a few cycling workouts in, but the pool is too warm and is kidney-shaped, so not really practical for laps...... I knew I would have to make some sacrifices for this career opp, and I suppose this is one of them. Sorry, I don't mean to be so whiny, but I can't help feeling that I've given up a huge part of my identity... hopefully only temporarily... 

Okay, the pity party (I can't believe I just used that expression- what am I, 90?) is done now... as I mentioned earlier my parents arrived yesterday-- tired after their 23 hour journey, but safe and in one piece (well two pieces actually!). This weekend is 4 days!! Coptic easter and Sham El Nessim {a celebration dating back to pharonic times celebrating Spring-  apparently it is customary to have a picnic and enjoy the "fresh air" (HA!!!)} so I have some days off to spend with them before they head off on a 2 week Egyptian adventure. Next weekend Zoomie, Chris and I are off to Sharm, but this time for longer, and with no pesky mountain to climb!!

Okay, I should get going, but  I hope you're all doing well, and that you have a fab Coptic Easter, and a very happy Sham El Nessim!  Over and out from Cairo, ! xoxo C

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Cat,

I can relate to how you feel in the new city. I lived in Bogota in Colombia for a year, and while the culture is much more conducive to athletic endeavours, it was still difficult to get it all in. Hard to know where to go, where to get gear, what to do, and the pollution! I often wondered if I was doing more damage than good by running in that air.

But, you will find your routine and you find what works and you will have people to do it with. Be patient but persistent. All in time.

Glad to have found your blog!

brad

Anonymous said...

No worries Cliffie! You and I will hit the treadmill and lifts weights like never before. Let's go enjoy Sharm without the pesky mountain to climb and after we get back, we'll hit the gym!

Zoomie, the treadmill Goddess!