Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Abu Dhabi

Sorry for the huge delay in posting- I've been in Abu Dhabi since last weekend and haven't had access to this site or to hotmail so I apologize if you wrote me and I didn't respond (Nicky-- thanks so much for the symphony splash pics!).

I am loving the UAE-- it's so clean and organized, the traffic is normal and the people here don't smell quite as much. I've been helping in the HR office of our new property for the last week and either tomorrow or Friday will fly out to Sri Lanka for the start of a recruitment trip- after that we head to Syria and Kenya where I am going on a SAFARI at one of our hotels there!!!!!!! It's only for 24 hours and it's pretty expensive but I have no idea when I might be back there so I jumped at the chance when it was offered! I can't wait- it's not till the end of the month but I wish it was sooner! I am getting the chance to reconnect with some old friends here, Marianna and Marta I worked with in Victoria and there are countless others who I've crossed paths with along the way...

For the last week I've been living in what is affectionately known as the 'frathouse' it's the staff housing for ass't managers- it's a series of five 7 room villas all attached together- we have males and females mixed, which is actually illegal.... so don't tell. Being Ass't Managers, they are all mostly in their early-mid twenties so it's been funny hanging out with them and watching the soap operas ensue! It reminds me of our co-op days in whistler!!

It's funny, although it's over 40C every day here, and realllllly humid, I have actually become quite accustomed to the heat and actually can't imagine surviving in temps lower than 30C now, it sounds positively frosty! Apparently it'll be winter in Kenya and can get as low as 10C at night... I wonder if there's anywhere to buy a parka in the UAE in August....

My camera has remained in my suitcase the last few days so I have no pics to post but I should take some pics of the hotel- its not finished yet, but it's going to be pretty cool looking when it's done. (which should be soon, inshallah)

Okay well I should get to bed but I hope you're all doing well. xoxo C

No comments: