I finally arrived in Copenhagen, exhausted, at about noon today. It was a long trip, since we left Cairo at 3:30am this morning- and Turkish Air has to have some of the smallest seats I've ever experienced...anyway we made it safe and sound and took a taxi to the hotel. I knew from the price that it wasn't going to be luxurious, but I wasn't exactly prepared for the reality. It's not dirty or anything, but if you've ever been in a cruise ship cabin and then imagined that cut in half, you'd have an idea of what this room is like- I have bunk beds and a trundle bed so I guess this is actually a triple room, but I have seen bigger walk in closets- honestly! I couldn't take a picture of the bathroom because it was too small for me to back up enough to get the whole thing in, but it really has to be seen to be believed- the shower nozzle comes out of the ceiling and the whole bathroom is waterproof and there's a drain on the floor... I am going to suggest that next year I get to pick the hotel!
Well, the weather forecast didn't lie- it's definitely not more than about 15 or 16C today, and it was also raining earlier...I thought I brought warm clothes, but I think my perspective is slightly skewed after being in plus 40C weather for the last few weeks- I'm going to have to make some decisions about what to wear on race day...
Accommodations and temperature aside, this city is amazing- I love how active and fit everyone is- every single street has a separate lane for bikes (not just a stripe painted on the road, but an actual lane with curbs and everything..) and if there are no cars on the particular street you're on, you can just stand and listen and all you hear are birds chirping- no honking horns, nobody yelling at anyone, no street dogs barking, no cats fighting, no mosques screaming at you to come and pray--- nothing.... I love it!!! And THEN, tonight as we were walking home from the restaurant suddenly police on motorbikes came and blocked the intersection- we thought there was some sort of police incident, but no, suddenly another motorbike came with its lights flashing, and behind it was a double-file line of what must have been about 400 people on rollerblades- it was amazing! I had my camera with me so I caught it on video! And apparently it happens every Friday night- I wish I'd known, I would have brought my skates!
Tomorrow we're heading to the race expo to pick up our race packages and check out the sales- since you can't really get any running stuff in Egypt, some of the group members are really stocking up! Okay must sleep now, xoxo C
No comments:
Post a Comment