Saturday, June 7, 2008

lazy Saturday...

So it's almost 4pm and I am still in my pjs. Any motivation I had when I woke up this morning to accomplish anything was killed by the heat. Actually, I just checked the weather network and it's only 34C, but with the humidity apparently it "feels like 37"- I actually think it feels waaaay hotter than that- my laundry dried in about 20 seconds when I hung it outside.

The weekend is almost over, which I would usually not be happy about, but I only have one day of work at the hotel and then I fly to Casablanca on monday morning. yay!

The weekend went quickly- yesterday was spent sleeping and shopping- I had to get some blouses etc since we're wearing "business casual" while recruiting, which, for women, is not as easy as it sounds- for men it's fine, they can just take of their tie and jacket- but for us it's a tough balance- there is a science to doing it properly, one I have yet to master. I also got my haircut yesterday- I was planning to wait till I got back to Victoria and go to my usual hairdresser, Christine, but since I'm now not sure when I'll be back, I decided to just do it here. I actually went back to the same place that gave me the Farrah Fawcett layers, because it's easy to get to and you don't need an appointment, but I got a different stylist this time and using a little of the arabic that I know, and a lot of charades... I made it VERY clear to her that I didn't want any thing on the front of my head to be cut. She seemed to understand and all in all the whole thing went pretty smoothly. I even got a discount for being a Cairo resident- ( one of the few times I've been happy to live in Cairo!!!! ) and an employee discount, so the whole thing was less than $20. sweet.

Abdou (my driver) doesn't know it, but we're in a fight right now- this week he insulted me twice!

A few days ago, he asked me why I wasn't married yet, I told him because I'm waiting for the right person, and he said "but miss catherine, you old." Thanks Abdou, thats really nice of you. THEN, yesterday, I got in the car wearing a tank top and he squeezed my arm and said "ohh miss catherine big!" I shot him a dirty look and he said "number one time I look you (trans: when I first met you..), you small {and held up his pinky finger}... now you bigger... Egyptian food good for miss catherine!!" I think he was trying to pay me a compliment since egyptian men like woman with some meat on their bones, but I did NOT take it that way. I was going to make him a soft rock cd today, but now I don't think I'm going to... (He likes soft rock almost as much as he likes Michael Jackson and the Dixie chicks).

Last night a few of us had dinner at the hotel in Heliopolis- I had bruschetta that was really good and sea bass that was not so much... good conversation though.

Okay I should get my fat, old, unmarried self into the shower and actually try to get something done before the day is over, but don't forget about the triathlon tomorrow in Vancouver- if you're there, go down and cheer for our Canadian elites, and if not, you can still follow the live tricast online.

over and out, C

3 comments:

teach11 said...

I know how it feels Cat...at least he didn't call you a pig and make snorting noises!
(ahhh... Korean memories)

Cat said...

Ha, I was actually thinking about that the other day...poor Nicky! Leave it to kids and drivers to be brutally honest! Miss you xo

Jen said...

Yes, but the worst is AFTER you explain that for Canadian/western women, being told you are fat is NOT considered a compliment, and yet he (in this case, a FORMER regular taxi driver in Mbarara) continues to INSIST every time he sees you that yes, but you really are getting fat! Needless to say, his short, over-sized head, ugly self was not employed by this fatty again!