Friday, June 20, 2008

Day in Alex



Today we were in Alexandria (they call it 'Alex' )- one of our co-workers lives there, so he, his wife and adorable 6-year old son showed us around. It's not quite as crowded and dirty as Cairo, and it's on the Mediterranean so it has a different feel. We saw some historic stuff (a fortress and the catacombs) and ate some seafood at place on the water. On paper it was cooler than cairo but since it's humid there it felt MUCH hotter. There's not really too much to explain, so I'll just post some pics. In no particular order we have :

-Sara, Tarek and Stephanie posing at Fort Qaitbay, the site of the former Lighthouse of Alexandria, which was one of the 7 wonders of the world before it was destroyed by a huge earthquake in the 14th century. The fort was built in its place.
-Our lunch (there were 8 of us, don't worry)
-Stephanie and Omar's hair blowing in the ancient A/C system in the fort, it's not electric at all, it's all based on air and water pressure- pretty smart.
-Stephanie and I at the restaurant where we had lunch
-Some fishing boats with downtown alex in the background
-Omar in the bouncy castle
-Some locals playing on the beach
-Omar and I climbing on a ledge (the sign in arabic says "don't climb on this ledge")

Okay that's all for now, hope you have a good weekend.

C

PS: Abdou was so excited about the pineapple that he bought me the shell necklace that I'm wearing in all the pictures! (not really my style but the gesture was really nice)

1 comment:

Cat said...

I just re-read this post and laughed because I said there wasn't much to explain so I'd just post some pictures, then I proceeded to explain every single picture!