Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Costa Rica!

Amanda and I have been in Costa Rica since Thursday night- after a perfectly-timed airport arrival (about 5 mins apart coming from two different cities in two different countries!), we found our driver and went to our hotel to spend the night in the capital, San Jose. Another driver picked us up the next morning and we made our way to Arenal volcano where we stayed at the Lost Iguana resort which was cool but deserted- we were one of only 3 other parties there- apparently this is the beginning of the off season. We still managed to befriend a Seattle couple, John and Katie, who were there on their honeymoon and spent a little time with them.

While in the area, we went to the hanging bridges for a rainforest walk- we were reallllly hoping to see monkeys but had to satisfy ourselves with bugs, birds and some wild boars. Probably one of the neatest creatures were the leaf-cutter ants who do just as their name suggests.

We also did ziplining with John and Katie and a group of other people (mostly americans)- I'd done it in Nanaimo at the bungy zone but this was about a kazillion times higher, scarier and more fun.

After 2 very full days at Arenal we made the 4.5 hour trip to Manuel Antonio on the Pacific coast- the trip was delayed about 45 mins because of a nest of killer bees that were found under a bridge we needed to cross. Some people were annoyed, but personally, I was happy to wait!

We got to Manuel Antonio yesterday and got upgraded to one of the most romantic rooms I've ever seen! There is a jacuzzi tub on the deck overlooking the ocean, unfortunately, I'm here with Amanda and this is not a romantic holiday! We also have a 3 toed sloth outside our room (or as the elderly American man we met to day called it, a "slothe"). He is the slowest moving animal I've ever seen- but very cute!

Today we relaxed at the beach and pool and recovered from the last few days' early mornings but tomorrow we;re back at it with Mangrove kayaking, then surfing lessons and another rainforest hike in the next few days.

Hope you're all doing well and that all the mothers out there had a great mother's day (especially mine!)

I'll leave you with a few pics.

Bye for now!

xoxo C



No comments: